edg

Bibliophile in Mtl

I've become a YA junkie. Lover of sci fi, supernatural, fairytales and romance. I'm a writer. Not published, but writing. I work in a library.

Books I couldn't put down.

Cruel Beauty - Rosamund Hodge Cinder - Marissa Meyer Beautiful Creatures  - Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia A Discovery of Witches  - Deborah Harkness Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell Dash & Lily's Book of Dares - 'Rachel Cohn',  'David Levithan' If You Find Me - Emily Murdoch The Selection  - Kiera Cass Wither (Chemical Garden) - Lauren DeStefano The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

I realized there are some books I read in one sitting, or that I just can't put down and want to sneak into my entire day. Or when I finish the first book, I'm shocked and slightly angered that there isn't a next book in a series to continue. This won't be an in depth review. More of more of a list touching the surface. In no order whatsoever:

• Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge: I just read it in one sitting today, so it's still fresh in my mind. This book was unexpected. The synopsis says that it is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, where the heroine has been raised to kill the monster she is betrothed to. What it doesn't tell you, is that it's also a retelling of Greek mythology, specifically the tale Cupid and Psyche. Mind you, Hodge has brilliantly wove Greek mythology, with Fairy tales, Hermetic sciences, T.S. Eliot and folklore. Hodge is a smart storyteller who manages to give you something unexpected. She has novella coming out in April called Gilded Ashes, based on Cinderella and I can't wait.
    • Cinder by Marissa Meyer: It's been awhile since I read Cinder- but I have since read Scarlet and most recently Cress. The fourth book in the series comes out next February, and will be called Winter. To be honest, when I first heard that Cinder was a retelling of Cinderella as a cyborg, I wasn't interested. I actually ended up reading the second book, Scarlet first and fell in love with the story. On their own each books is a fairy tale retelling, but these books connect and together form the Lunar Chronicles series. What I love about this series is the story continues, and although you get a new main character, you don't lose touch with the ones you originally grew to love. This books series is part Sailor Moon, Firefly, Star Wars, and fairy tales. It's also addictive, and the world building is well rounded.
    • Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl:  I read in an interview that these writing partners took on a bet from their teens and relatives to write a story that had these parameters: "No vampires, a boy telling the story not a girl, [and] why can't the girl do something besides fall in love?". I love that about the story the most. It's a story rooted in the American south, and engulfed in magic and all things supernatural. It's a beautiful series that is large is breadth, four novels each about 500 pages long. Be fair warned It even spawned a luke warm movie, that doesn't do the book series justice. There will be a companion book series, Dangerous Creatures, launched in May.
    • A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness: I love that Harkness is a scholar, much like her main character. The book is written with incredible detail and rich world building. It's a supernatural contemporary romance, it's sequel is a historical romance, and there is time travel. It took me 50 pages into this to be hooked, but hooked I was. I quickly devoured the second book, and can't wait for the third book in this series, The Book of Life to come out in July. I would even call it it to a grown up Harry Potter, as it's a magical journey of self discovery. There is magic, romance, all out battles of good vs evil, questions of the grey, and memorable characters that stay with you years later.
    • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: As a young woman who grew up reading fanfiction, this story was very close to my heart. This is the coming of age story a young girl who starts university, and tries to figure out who she is as a young woman and as a writer. She is a famed fanfiction writer, who struggles to find her authentic original voice. She's also a twin who has to deal for the first time with not having her sister as her go to best friend. I felt the story telling was great combination of honest, funny, and heartwarming, that results in a surprisingly complex story. An honourable mention should go to her other awesome book Eleanor & Park. Her next books Landline is coming out in July.
    • Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan: I read this book over the holidays and it captures Christmas in New York City beautifully. It's a Serendipity with wit and teen romance. Dash finds a red notebook that Lily has left in the epic bookstore the Strand, inside the book are questions and instructions for the reader to follow. It's a sweet and innocent love story, coloured in sarcasm. It's a great combination from the writing partners that created Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I have to admit I'm a bigger fan of that movie, than the book, but I digress. This was a quick read that I ate up like chocolate, and it was sweet and satisfying.
    • If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch: This books made me weep. Not since the book Room by Emma Donoghue have I been so shaken and torn up by a book. This is the story of a teen, Carey,  who has been mainly hidden all her life in a national park with her young sister. The girls have been mostly neglected by their mother, who has left them this time for months. But their lives change when they are found and brought to live with Carey's father. This book is amazing, but not for the faint of heart. It was beautiful, heart wrenching, uncomfortable, and stark.
    • The Selection by Kiera Cass: This series is often called the Bachelor meets the Hunger Games, and on the surface that is true. But it's also the story of a young heartbroken girl, torn between a first love and a possible new love. Their world is divided politically by war and strict caste system. As much of this story that is about love, I love the relationships between the girls vying for the position of Queen, and love of the Prince. The main character has never been in this type of situation before and is sometimes it's like reading Mean Girls meets a fairy tale. It's light fun for the most part, but it was have a lot of heart.
    • Wither by Lauren deStefano: To be completely honest, I wasn't impressed with this series as a whole. I felt for the most part that the second book was unnecessary, aside for a few plot points, and the third could have been a few chapters. However, the first book is wonderful. The story is a hauntingly beautiful tale of a stolen girl, trying to survive being forced into marriage at a young age, and escape back to her family. It's a neo-Gothic romance in a dystopian world where the youth wither and die at the age of 20. It's worth the read, but you must lower you're expectations for the sequels.
    • The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown: I love the tagline of this books: "See we love each other. We just don't happen to like each other very much". It's a great book about three sisters who find their way home when their mother is sick. I love these imperfect characters trying to find themselves through coming together to be a family again to support their mother. I also love the Shakespeare connection: Their father is a Shakespeare professor in a small university town, and named them all of his daughters after characters of Shakespeare's plays. It's an honest, funny, well written tale of family. I can't wait to see what this author does next.